Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wheel Made of Pie Keeps on Turnin - Maple Cinnamon Spirals

So what do you do with left over pastry dough from your Coconut Pecan Pie? Yeah, it happened to me. This is what I get for not paying attention while in the kitchen. I only needed half a batch of and I accidentally made enough for a covered pie. Since I didn't really have anything to make a second open faced pie from I decided on my little "Crust" thing with the Sugar and Cinnamon that my mom use to make. Then while reaching for the sugar, I found something I had forgotten I had.....

MAPLE SUGAR

I think I bought it about 3 years ago at the Le Gourmet Chef outlet in Cabazon, out near Palm Springs. It's been sitting in a sealed stainless steel container just biding it's time until I rediscovered it. Well, rediscover it I did, I did. It's kind of powdery, being made from boiled down maple syrup and all. Not quite as sweet as granulated sugar, but with a delicious maple-y flavor. Like those sugary pressed maple candies (since it's pretty much the same thing, just ground up)

The wheels in my head started turning, and turning, and turning, and turning, and turning.... Did I mention they were turning?
Then, just about the time the burning tire smell started making me nauseous, it hit me.... Thanks to comments left by Spryte and Patti on my Cherry Pie post regarding left over Pastry Crust.....

Maple Sugar Pinwheels or rather Spirals. Just like a cinnamon roll....oh yeah.... cinnamon would be good with maple sugar... Right on!

Super Simple, Super Easy and Super Delicious....

Maple Cinnamon Spirals

1/2 recipe
Room Temperature Butter
Maple Sugar (Although I am sure Brown or Granulated would work just fine)
Cinnamon
Optional - Egg white

Preheat your oven to about 400-425
Roll out your left over pastry dough into a square (As close as you can get it)

Schmear it with room temperature butter then sprinkle it with maple sugar (or equivalent) and cinnamon. (Leave a strip on one edge, so you can seal it)

Roll it up. (you can seal the edge with egg white if you wish)

Slice about 1/4 inch thick and place on a parchment lines baking sheet. (don't worry so much about spacing, they are not going to puff or spread like regular cookie dough)

Bake for 20 -25 minutes.

Enjoy with a big cup of coffee.

Mangia!!
~~

7 comments:

Heather S-G said...

I bet these are out of this world!! I'm lovin' that maple sugar! If I were a little braver, I would totally try making these!!

Unknown said...

yum yum yum!! and I suppose your co-workers reaped the rewards....again! I am so jealous of those people.

Spryte said...

Those look delicious!

Anonymous said...

I love these! I always made the log with the leftover piecrust and then baked the whole thing like my mom always did. I think I like the idea of slicing it better. Also, I haven't used cake flour in my pie crust, I'm so trying this next time!

Bob said...

Nice, I bet those are awesome. Where's that damn food fax?! :D

Justin said...

i keep reading about these today, but most everybody else makes them in a pan so they press up against each other while they bake. I'm impressed yours stayed so nice and compact this way. they look great.

Patti T. said...

I am so glad I read this, guess what is lurking in the back of my cupboard?? Maple baking crystals. I got them to put on top of cookies, but they would be so good like this, I can't believe I had forgotten I had them.