Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Winnie The Pooh Never Had It So Good - Gingered Honey

So I got to thinkin', which usually gets me in trouble, that when I posted the Pumpkin Biscuits, I kind of left everyone hung out to dry.  My serving suggestion included Crème Fraîche and Ginger Preserves.

I feel guilty about that.  Simply because I know how hard it is for ME to find Ginger preserves.  I even know which stores carry it in this area and it's still a "crap shoot" as to whether or not it's available.  So I decided to publish an alternative.  It's not quite the same, but it's pretty close in flavor profile, and it's extremely easy to do.

Gingered Honey

4 oz Clover Honey (that's 6 oz by weight or 170 grams)
1 TB (.5 oz) (15 g) Crystallized Ginger, chopped fine

Simply place the Honey in a small saucepan.

Before you chop the crystallized ginger, brush some of the sugar off the outside. (It's just a little much and can possibly cause the Honey to crystallize when it cools)

Warm the Honey over low heat until warm, then add the chopped Ginger.

Continue heating the honey, just until it begins to simmer.

Remove from heat and pour into a heat proof Jelly Jar.

Cover, while still warm, and let cool to room temperature.

Now you are all ready for a batch of Pumpkin Biscuits, without running all over town looking for Ginger Preserves.

As far as the Crème Fraîche is concerned, you are kind of on your own on that one..... At least until I get my ducks in a row and post the recipe for culturing your own.  ;)

Mangia!!
~~

No comments: