Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Luscious Lebkuchen - Warm GingerBread

Last year I tackled Lebkuchen in it's most creative form.  Gingerbread cookie houses, Gingerbread men and, not wanting to appear sexist, Gingerbread women.  While it is still a little "early" this year, I feel that it is time to show the softer side of lebkuchen.  For this is technically how it all began.

The key is in the name - Ginger "bread".  And while I will in no way dispute the awesomeness of gingerbread cookies, as well as any houses created from this most festive of building materials, once you have had a slab of this warm, soft, spicy quick bread with a divine heap of softly beaten whipped cream; well, it's positively Himmlisch. (heavenly/divine)

I am sure this could be baked in a normal loaf pan, but for my family, it's all about the crust on the top with the soft and moist crumb underneath, so we have always baked it in a shallow 7 1/2 x 11 or 8 x12 (older size) baking dish versus an actual loaf pan (9x5x3).  It's even better the next day after the spices have had a chance to meld into the cake a little (just like most spice cakes) but it never lasts that long around here.

Grandma's Gingerbread


370 g (13 oz)(3 cups; sifted before measuring) AP Flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Kosher Salt
2 tsp Ground Ginger
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
114 g (4 oz) (1/2 cup) Unsalted Butter
198 g (7 oz) (1 cup) Granulated Sugar
2 Large Eggs
237 ml (8 oz) (1 cup) Molasses
237 ml (8 oz) (1 cup) Buttermilk

Butter and flour a baking dish (7 1/2 x 11) and preheat the oven to 350F (180C) (Gasmark 4) degrees.

For those of you using volume measurements, sift the flour over the measuring cup, then level with a knife and move to a bowl, you need 3 cups of flour measured in this manner.  Or weigh out 13 oz of AP flour into a medium sized bowl.

Whisk the Flour, Baking Soda, Salt, Ginger and Cinnamon together until well combined.

Cream Butter and Sugar together in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.

Add eggs, one at a time, mixing each one in well before adding the next one.

Beat in the Molasses.

Begin adding the Flour mixture and the Buttermilk, alternating, beginning and ending with the Flour.

Pour the resulting batter into the prepared pan.

Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Move to a rack and let cool for 20 minutes before unmolding.

Cut and serve with lightly beaten whipped cream (I like it beaten softly, so it still has a little movement to it)

And if you will excuse me now, I am going to go back into the kitchen and bury my face in the gingerbread....  :)

Heaven....  I'm in Heaven......  Or should I say "Himmel.....  Ich existiere en Himmel..."

Mangia!!
~~

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds really good!!! I'm going to make some for thanksgiving this year (if I can' wait that long LOL)

Dajana said...

Gorgeous bread. I wish I wasn't the only one in the house who likes it. I guess I'll have to make half the recipe :)))