Saturday, February 7, 2009

Kohlrabi - Say WHAT!!! (Coal-Robbie)

The thing that strikes my funny bone about this most, is that I was just having a discussion on BakeSpace regarding Jicama, when Kohlrabi came up while trying to describe the Jicama's flavor being a cross between kohlrabi and a water chestnut. While it's true that Jicama slightly "grainy" and is very mild in flavor, a kohlrabi has a texture similar to a radish or turnip/parsnip, but a definite light cabbage flavor with just a hint of red radish heat at the end.

Now I have not seen kohlrabi since I was a kid, many moons ago. My father use to grow it in our garden, both green and the red varieties. I have NEVER seen it in the produce aisle of the megamart though. That is until today when shopping at Bristol Farms for the first time. One just opened in La Jolla not too long ago and I have been
jonesing to go take a look. Well I did, and this was the first thing that caught my eye when I hit the produce section.

Yes folks, THAT is a Kohlrabi from the German Kohl- meaning Cabbage and -Rabi meaning Turnip. And it is, a cabbage that is, even though you eat the bulb. Kohlrabi is also known as a German Turnip as well as Cabbage Turnip in the U.S. I had to grab 3 and bring them home to enjoy raw with a little salt and pepper, just like when I was a kid.


Deliciousness.

Mangia!!
~~

2 comments:

Bob said...

I'll take your word for it, I've never seen one of those before. They look like the aliens from this video game I used to play. ;)

Michele said...

SO funny that I'm reading this today! I just noticed this at Kings (a supermarket near me) today!!!