Friday, July 24, 2009

Lettuce Grill a Salad - Grilled Romaine in Caper Dressing

It is time, once again, to appeal to my Y chromosome and grill something. Especially since it has been so hot over the last week. The only problem with this thought process is that it's actually too hot to eat meat. It's just to heavy in this type of weather... So what do you grill instead of meat? You ask...

Salad... ;) That's right, I said Salad.

I have to shout out to another BakeSpace friend, Cweich - Cathy, for telling me about this. The original recipe can be found here at Epicurious.

Grilled Salad in Caper Dressing

1 1/2 TB Champagne Vinegar
1/2 tsp Grey Salt
1/4 tsp Ground Green Pepper
2 TB minced Shallots
1 TB Capers, rinsed and drained
1/2 TB Dijon mustard
optional -1/2 tsp Orange Blossom Honey
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 hearts of romaine lettuce, halved lengthwise, core left intact
Shaved Manchego or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

Preheat barbecue (medium-high heat).
Mix vinegar and salt together to ensure it dissolves.

Add the next 6 ingredients in small processor

and blend until almost smooth.

Place romaine, cut side up.

Spray with romaine hearts with olive oil. (this is where I deviated from the recipe, you are suppose to toss the heads with 1/2 of the dressing)

Grill romaine until charred and slightly wilted on all sides, about 2 minutes.

Transfer 1 romaine spear to each of 4 plates.

Drizzle with dressing,

Sprinkle generously with shaved Manchego or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and serve.

Deliciously different and exciting..!! I will be making this many many more times this summer... Especially when I can actually use my grill. I'm sure you noticed that I was using a grill pan. It appears that I am the victim of yet another theft of my charcoal. That's 3 bags so far this year. grrrrrrr!! But, this salad is just as good in a grill pan.

Mangia!!
~~

2 comments:

DutchBakerGirl said...

Yeah! I'm glad you liked it. They are begging me to make it at home. Yours looks soooo good!

Unknown said...

great job! It looks really good. sorry about the missing charcoal tho. that really sucks.