Thursday, August 6, 2009

Garlic, It's What's For Dinner - Gnocchi in Pancetta and Caramelized Shallot Cream Sauce

OK, It's been awhile since I did anything with gnocchi. These, in particular, are simply good ole potato gnocchi. The sauce, however, is what this post is all about. You can just as easily use this over your favorite Macaroni or Penne. A Garlic lovers dream come true... A Vampires worst Nightmare... Probably your "significant others" worst nightmare too, unless you are sharing it with them. This sauce has an inherent sweetness though, brought about by not only roasting the garlic first, but by caramelizing the shallots as well.

If you don't have any Soave, a Pinot Grigio or a Sauvignon Blanc will work just fine too. I tend to use Pinot Grigio more often, cause I always have it lying around the house on a regular basis. (meaning there is ALWAYS an open bottle somewhere) ;)

Gnocchi with Pancetta and Caramelized Shallots


1 head of Garlic
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
3 oz Cubed Pancetta
1 rather large Shallot, minced
3 TB Chicken Stock
3 TB Soave (an Italian White made with Trebbiano grapes)
1/2 cup heavy cream, room temperature
1/8 tsp nutmeg
2 TB grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Salt & White Pepper to taste
1 lb gnocchi

First things first, lets roast up some Gah-lic. I don't own a fancy terracotta garlic roaster, so I simply wrap the garlic in foil and roast for 40 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

In the interim, heat a skillet over medium flame with a teaspoon of olive oil,When it begins to smoke, add the cubed pancetta and sauté until it becomes crispy.

Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel, leaving the drippings in the pan, and reduce heat to low.

Add a touch more olive oil if necessary, and add the minced shallots, sweating them, not sautéing, until they caramelize, about 15 minutes.

Once you have added the shallots to your skillet, go ahead and begin heating a stock pot full of water; remember, gnocchi only take a couple minutes to cook, so better to have the water ready before the sauce is completed.
Your garlic should be roasted now,

so remove the cloves from the skins and place in a dish, stirring to break the cloves up a little.

Once the shallots have caramelized well, add the roasted garlic paste and the drained pancetta.

Meanwhile, mix the chicken stock and wine together; then deglaze the pan. (although it's not really deglazing cause the pan isn't hot enough for things to really stick.)

Simmer for about 3-4 minutes or until the liquid is reduced by about 1/3.

Add the Heavy Cream and Nutmeg, simmering for an additional 3 minutes or until it just starts to thicken.

Now is the time to drop the gnocchi into the already boiling water and cook for 2 –3 minutes, until they float.
Sprinkle the sauce with the Parmigiano-Reggiano and season with Salt (if necessary) and White Pepper, stirring until melted.

As they float, strain them out with a slotted spoon, and add to the skillet of sauce, tossing to coat as you go.


Not the most calorie friendly recipe, I admit. But Evil Good, I must say.

Mangia!!
~~

7 comments:

Patti T. said...

MMMmmmmm gnocchi one of my most favorite things!! Too bad I can't eat shallots or onions of any kind. Oh well, it looks delicious!

Michele said...

That looks sooo good! Do you use all of the garlic in the dish?

Shane T. Wingerd said...

Patti - That is a bummer, my friend Joe has the same allergy. :(

Michele - Yep, I use the whole head of garlic. Cause too much is NEVER enough... LOL

Unknown said...

holy cow, omg, wow....all my tastebuds are buzzing! this looks so darned good I can't stand it! from the garlic to the onions to the pancetta...sensory overload...loving it!!

Karine said...

I was actually looking for a recipe to use my homemade over-sized gnochhis and I am going to make yours! thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Heather S-G said...

Oh my goodness gracious...I've died and gone to heaven. I don't care if it's not calorie friendly...I'll gladly eat this for the rest of my days and roll around (literally) in pure pleasure :D

Spryte said...

mmm... I was drooling just reading the name of this!!!