Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Chocolate Krinkles for Old Kris Kringle

One of those childhood memories is now surfacing as the Christmas holiday approaches at what seems like the speed of light (YIKES! how many more days of shopping insanity are left?) Those memories are all about the wondrous parade of holiday treats that marched from the kitchens of my Mom, Gramma and Great Gramma. One of those favorite childhood cookies that always comes to mind is the Chocolate Krinkle.

LOVE THEM!!!!

So did Santa, or at least he did when I was "Knee high to a grasshopper" and still believed in Santa Klaus (That's Klows... not Claws). That might have changed, since I have not left him any cookies in about 38 years.... Oh yeah, my parents explained about St. Nicholas and the whole Santa Klaus/Kris Kringle myth by the time I was 2 years old. But it was still fun to pretend.... and it gave my parents something to munch on while they filled our stockings with goodies (although I am sure we 3 boys really deserved coal)

So here is my families Chocolate Krinkle cookie recipe... In all their crispy powdered sugar coated exterior, rich soft chocolate interior deliciousness.

Chocolate Krinkles

4 oz Unsweetened Chocolate
2 cups AP Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
2 cups Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup (4oz) Butter (You can also use Soybean or Light Olive oil - They will be a little chewier and will spread more)
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
4 Large Eggs
1 cup Confectioners' Sugar

Break the Unsweetened chocolate up into small bits to foster even melting (I chose Ghiradelli instead of Baker's this time, but I think Baker's actually works better for this)

Melt the chocolate over low heat (or in a double boiler) so it does not scorch then set aside to cool.

In a small bowl, whisk Flour Baking Powder and Salt together and set aside. (You can omit the Baking Powder and Salt by using Self Rising Flour - in the amount of 2 cups plus 1 TB - cause the are already mixed in)

Place Sugar, Butter, Vanilla and the cooled melted Chocolate in the bowl of a stand mixer.

Blend until homogeneous but don't try to "cream" it all together until "light and fluffy" or you will end up with cake instead of a cookie.

Add eggs 1 at a time, mixing well before adding the next one.

Stir in the Flour mixture to form a soft dough.

Cover the dough and chill it for at least 3 hours or it will be uber-sticky and impossible to work with.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift powdered sugar into a bowl and begin dropping the dough in by teaspoonfuls.

Coat them well and then roll into balls; placing them on a parchment lined baking sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes then cool on a wire rack.

Serve on a festive plate for Santa..... (with a glass of Milk, of course)

or just eat them yourself, directly from the oven rack, like I do. Don't worry, there will still be plenty left for Santa if you do, cause this recipe makes about 6 dozen cookies... Heck there may even be some left over for Santa's helper elves AND the reindeer.

Mangia!!
~~

8 comments:

Dajana said...

I wanna be the Santa visiting your house, those are the most beautiful chocolate krinkles I've seen lately.
I was just looking for a good and tried recipe to make them myself.

Michele said...

Those cookies are so pretty! I am bookmarking this. I can't wait to start baking Christmas cookies!

Bob said...

Oh wow, those look wicked good. Heh, I've had the same issue when I try to sub out wicked good chocolate for Bakers. My theory is that so many recipes are devised for Bakers specifically (due to its many years of popularity) that other, richer chocolates don't do it right. But that's just a guess.

Patti T. said...

My SIL makes these every year. They do add something to the look of a cookie tray, that something kinda different. Great for chocolate lovers. I just love your plate, so cute for Christmas or even just winter.

DutchBakerGirl said...

These look mighty tasty. I use a couple of them right now!

Unknown said...

those are so beautiful!! and all that chocolatey goodness....yum!!
K...wait....2 yrs old? that didn't give you much time to believe...?

matt74 said...

Wow those bring back the same kind of memories!..I can taste them now.

Karine said...

They look delicious! And great choice of chocolate :)