Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Ode to King Haakon's Bane - What the Heck Is It?

Just for fun, I thought I would throw this out there....

Does anyone know what this is?


I will give you 3 hints.... one of which may be completely obvious... :)

1. It's a 6 inch wooden disk.

2. The pointed border represents the rays of the sun.

3. I use it at Christmas/Yule to make something deliciously traditional, though NOT of Danish, German, Dutch or Swiss origin. Oh, and for those that know me all too well, no... it's not Italian either.. ;) LOL

What's your best guess?

Stay tuned, cause I will be using it tomorrow.

Mangia!!
~~

8 comments:

Ciao Chow Linda said...

A cookie press?

Bob said...

Well, judging from the name I'd say it's Scandinavian, maybe Swedish? Other than that I haven't the faintest.

Michele said...

Maybe you use it to make mini pies? I don't have a clue really. lol

Unknown said...

it looks hawaiian.....something to do with pineapple?

Jhonny walker said...

Inca..Aztecs? You say that the rays are of Sun's. An Aztec chocolate crusher :)

Patti T. said...

I believe it is a springerle mold. There is a shop not far from here that makes them. The object carved looks like a thistle.

matt74 said...

I say it's for those thin almost waffle like cookies?..

Shane T. Wingerd said...

HA HA Thanks to everyone who participated. Linda and Patti were the closest. It's a Traditional Scottish Shortbread Mold with the thistle emblem (not pineapple) ;).

When King Haakon of Norway tried to invade Scotland, he wanted to sneak up on the Scottish army. In order to move more quietly, he instructed his men to remove their shoes, or so the legend goes. His men began yelping in pain when they stepped, barefoot, into patches of thistle, thus waking the Scottish army, who consequently won the battle and sent Haakon's men running helter-skelter back to Norway... Sans Shoes.