Tuesday, July 6, 2010

On The Dark Side - Chocolate Syrup

Have you ever had one of those moments when you are suddenly struck with fundamental truth and it completely displaces your reality?  So it was, when I grabbed some good old Hershey's Syrup. Granted, when I was a wee pup, it came in a can with a yellow plastic lid.  Now it comes in a plastic squeeze bottle. I have never really thought all that much about it; I just assumed they did it for convenience.  I didn't need one of those can openers anymore, right?

Well, for some strange reason, I just happened the read the label. I don't mean the cursory glance that tells me I have the right bottle. I mean REALLY read the bottle. Did you know that Hershey's Syrup was artificially flavored? Just like Nestle Quick. I have always avoided Nestle Quick because I KNEW it wasn't real chocolate syrup; and packed with artificial flavor. In my ignorance, I have always assumed that Hershey's Syrup was real. Alas, my assumption was proverbial. I am now the dumb-a$ and Hershey's has been making money off me for years while I consume their pseudo-chocolate type food product. All the while I am poisoning myself with their chemical additives. GRRRRRRRR!

So in my anger, I have decided that I will no longer use any of their products. Though it may sounds a bit on the dramatic side, I feel betrayed by what was suppose to be an American Institution. I am sure that they sell enough product that my small consumption will in no possible way, bring the company to it's knees. Nor will they bat an eyelash at 1 single customer on a rampage, nor will they amend their wicked ways and repent for deceiving the public by banking on their name. But, this is America and I am exercising my right to make a choice.

Seriously though, making your own chocolate syrup is so ridiculously simple, I forget that I know how to make it. So armed with Natural Cocoa Powder, from other companies, let's begin. This is the first step to healing... Oh, and yes, I know Scharffen-Berger is technically owned by Hershey's corp. LOL

Chocolate Syrup

1/2 cup Scharffen-Berger Natural Cocoa Powder
1/2 cup Rapunzel Natural Cocoa Powder
1 cup Granulated Sugar
1 cup Cold Water
Pinch of Kosher Salt
2 tsp Vanilla Extract

Place the sugar in a medium saucepan.

Add Water and Cocoa powders and whisk vigorously until there are no cocoa powder lumps in the mix.

Whisk in a pinch of salt.
Place over medium flame and whisk until it comes to a boil, to prevent scorching.

Continue whisking while the mixture simmers for about 6 minutes.

Remove from heat and add the Vanilla Extract.
Pour into a clean glass bowl to stop the cooking.

Cover with plastic wrap on the surface to prevent any possible "skin".

The BEST part, is that since I made it,

*I* get to lick the spatula! YAY!

Once cool, move to a squeeze bottle. (hopefully you will not make a mess like I did, but in my defense, I was also trying to peer through a viewfinder) LOL

This allows for easier application to your favorite dessert which in this case, was Deep Fried Ice Cream.

Yep, some very happy kids......

Mangia!!
~~

7 comments:

Patti T. said...

Looks great, what a wonderful idea to keep it in the squeeze bottle. Now why didn't I think of that.

Unknown said...

I'm still giggling that the natural cocoa powder that you used is owned by Hershey! so....why did you use two different kinds of cocoa powder?
I had no idea this was so easy to make!! Heck...let me lick the full bowl and leave the spatula behind!

matt74 said...

Dude that sauce looks killer and I love me some deep fried ice cream..

Anonymous said...

Sa-WEEEEET (ok, I HAD to, ya know it's how I roll LOL)
But.....do we get to learn how to make fried icecream???? Unless of course you flash froze it with some sort of fancy equipment or liquid nitrogen in your scientific lab, er uhm, I mean kitchen ;)

Anonymous said...

Sa-WEEEEET (ok, I HAD to, ya know it's how I roll LOL)
But.....do we get to learn how to make fried icecream???? Unless of course you flash froze it with some sort of fancy equipment or liquid nitrogen in your scientific lab, er uhm, I mean kitchen ;)

Shane T. Wingerd said...

Thanks everyone. :)

DD, Check here for fried ice cream....

http://culinaryalchemist.blogspot.com/2009/07/fire-and-ice-cream-that-is-bananas.html

Anonymous said...

Not sure why my comment posted twice LOL but thanks for the link...I'm so making this for Jim!